Friday, January 16, 2009

Why Sunday Dinners?

Sunday dinners have been a ritual for my family for many years. I can't remember a Sunday without it. They were special, typically homemade, and no one dared miss out. For a few years after moving away from my family, my husband and I got caught up in the hectic and stressful pace of our jobs...there was no time for Sunday dinner...we were too busy...flitting around, without a break to breathe.

When I could make Sunday dinner, it was wonderful, but we ended up with lots of left overs, since we didn't have anyone nearby to share it with. It wasn't complete without a handful of people at the table. For me, Sunday dinners are a break from the rush of everyday life - a time to share food with the people we care about, while forgetting about the fact that tomorrow is Monday. A time to relax, laugh, and catch up.

When we moved to Boston, I finally had an opportunity to reintroduce Sunday dinner into my routine. We have great friends that are a short drive away and are willing guinea pigs for my forays into entrees and desserts. We've kept at the Sunday dinner ritual for a little over a year now.

Recently, my friend Michelle pointed out to me, "Why don't you take pictures of our Sunday dinner meals and put them on a blog?" when we were chatting about practicing photography. So with this blog, I not only hope to capture the recipes, in print and photo, but I also hope to capture some of the spirit and memories of our continuing Sunday feasts.

1 comment: